You will need:
8 cups rolled oats
2 cups pitted and chopped dates/ raisins
2 ripe bananas, peeled and chopped
desired amount of salt
1 Cup slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
1/4-1/2 Cup of coconut flakes (or desiccated)
Lemon/ Orange zest
Water (enough to moisten a bit)
1 Large bowl
1/2 Baking trays
Coconut oil for greasing pan (optional)
Steps to follow
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Add the oats and other ingredients except the dates to a large bowl and set aside.
- Place the dates in a medium saucepan with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add more water if needed to keep the dates from sticking to the pan.Remove from the heat and add the mixture to a blender with the bananas, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Add the date mixture to the oats and mix well.
- Divide the granola between the two baking trays
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the granola is crispy and browned.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before adding the slivered almonds (if using).
Note: (The cereal will get even crispier as it cools.)
You can use any nuts you have and raisins too.
Store the Granola in an airtight container.
Best served: You can add your home-made, plant-based milk.